flag

flag

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Participant of the Week: Lauren Yaffe

Since joining WILL WORK FOR FOOD, Lauren Yaffe, a 2007 graduate from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, has raised almost $500 through a variety of unique work efforts. This past weekend, Lauren participated in the Martin Luther King Jr. Service Project in Chicago, Illinois. To learn more about Lauren and this very special service opportunity, we asked her a few questions and here's what she had to say:


Q: Where are you from?
A: I'm originally from Madison, WI, but now I live in Chicago, where I work for a mid-sized public and accounting firm.

Q: If you could meet one person, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
A: Oprah! I think she is such a strong and accomplished woman and I believe in a lot of the causes that she supports. I also enjoy her show and think that she would be fascinating to speak to in person.

Q: Tell us an interesting fact about yourself.

A: I've traveled to almost 20 countries and really enjoy going to exotic places! The coolest place I've ever traveled to was the Galapagos Islands, off the coast of Ecuador.

Q: What are your favorite pastimes?

A: Working out, arts and crafts, spending time with family and friends, biking, jazz dance, and trying new restaurants in Chicago!

Q: Can you tell us a little more about your most recent work effort, the Martin Luther King Jr. Service Project?
A: The Martin Luther King Jr. Service Project is to honor Martin Luther King, Jr. in the Chicago community. Participants were able to participate in a number of projects, such as painting murals, organizing a library, and making a fresh meal for seniors. Specifically, I painted a large canvas painting which will be hung in the hallways of Bouchet Academy, a math and science elementary school in Chicago.

Q: How did you raise money for this event?

A: I raised $370 this year for the MLK Service Project. I sent out an email to close friends and family educating them about my volunteer effort and asking for donations to WWFF to sponsor my work effort.

Q: Why are you interested in helping and participating in WILL WORK FOR FOOD?

A: I think the premise of WWFF is great - I get to volunteer for causes that are important to me while getting the encouragement and support of family and friends by having them donate to a worthy cause to fight child malnutrition abroad.

Q: If you could describe WILL WORK FOR FOOD in one word, what would it be?
A: Progressive

Do you want to join WILL WORK FOR FOOD in its fight against child malnutrition? Register and get started today!

If you want to know every time WILL WORK FOR FOOD posts something new to our blog, email willworkforfoodblog@gmail.com with the subject line "Sign me up."

No comments: